MedPro Blog


Foreign Nurse? 8 FAQs About Working in the U.S.

Foreign Nurse? 8 FAQs About Working in the U.S.

Thinking about working as a nurse in the United States? It can be a great opportunity for you and your family, but making such a big change can be a little scary. Here are eight things you need to know about working in the U.S. to help you decide if it’s right for you and get you off to a good start.

How long does it take to start working in the U.S.?

It depends on how long it takes to get through testing, licensing and immigration. Factors to consider include your education, experience and green card priority date. Your recruiter can give you more details.

How can I make sure I have a good CV?

Your travel nursing recruiter will go over your CV/resume and application with you to make sure everything is in order and will impress U.S. employers. Learn more here about creating a job-winning CV.

What kinds of places can I work in the U.S.?

MedPro services a variety of clinical settings, including hospital, skilled nursing facility, outpatient and home health. Let your recruiter know if you have a preference or keep your options open to see what opportunities arise.

What education and experience do I need?

To be considered by MedPro, you must be a registered nurse who is licensed or registered to practice in the country in which you received your professional degree. You should also have at least one year of experience. Find more information here about becoming licensed to work in the U.S.

How do I know if working in the U.S. is for me?

It’s an adventure for sure and not for everyone, but it’s a great way to jumpstart your career. You’ll be working in different kinds of facilities with different people. You’ll learn a lot and gain many professional and personal rewards. Read more about the pros and cons of being a nurse in the U.S.

Is it expensive to relocate to the U.S.?

MedPro covers a lot of the costs that will be incurred, including the cost of your visa and airfare. Your recruiter can provide details. Housing will be covered during the orientation process.

What type of visa will I receive?

MedPro primarily utilizes permanent residency (green card) to sponsor nurses for work in the U.S. You’ll be expected to remain with MedPro for a three-year commitment. Individual assignments are about 13 weeks.

Can I bring my family?

Spouses and dependent children under 21 are eligible to be included under your green card. It will be up to you to pay all expenses associated with their visas and travel.

Looking for a foreign nurse recruiter?

Working with MedPro Healthcare Staffing for foreign nurse recruitment can make it much faster and easier to find great nursing jobs in the U.S. If you have any other questions about working with MedPro in the United States, please see our Frequently Asked Questions or contact us.

Your recruiter will work with you every step of the way—to get your license in order, offer nurse resume tips, understand your career needs and make your transition to the U.S. as easy as possible. To learn more about how to find a great nursing job as a foreign RN, contact MedPro Healthcare Staffing today or apply below!



Share it